Child Protection Policy
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, DI Texas requires all team managers to have background checks, Read the Youth Protection Plan, and attend training on Child Protection. Our procedure is based on current best practice of our industry, background checks need to be completed to be eligible to compete at Regional, Affiliate Tournaments, and Global Finals.
There are three ways in which team managers can complete a background check.
- Team managers who are teachers or district employees must submit their current district ID annually to Texas DI.
- Team managers who have teams in districts that require or provide background checks may submit their clearance documentation from their school district annually to Texas DI. This may take the form of a letter from the school or district stating the background check procedures have been followed.
- Team managers may go through Sterling Volunteers. The team manager will pay for the $15.00 cost of this background check. Sterling Volunteers will provide the results of the background check to Texas DI. Anyone needing financial help, should contact Texas DI.
If a conviction may be found, potential team managers and current team managers are encouraged to speak with Texas DI prior to their background check. Background check findings will be reviewed in a fair, impartial and confidential manner. Because Texas DI’s priority is the safety of the team members and any others participating in DI activities, certain actions and convictions for certain crimes serve to automatically disqualify applicants. Those include:
- Refusal to consent to a criminal background check
- Makes a false statement in connection with criminal background check
- Is registered, or required to be registered on any sex offender registry
- Has been convicted of a crime involving felony child abuse.
With respect to convictions for crimes not listed above, any applicant with a conviction will be evaluated on an individual basis to determine whether they should be excluded from consideration based on the convictions. Texas DI will consider the following factors:
Nature of offense
Length of time since offense including age at time of offense
How it relates to position
Texas DI will notify the applicant to the possibility of exclusion due to past criminal conduct and will provide the applicant with an opportunity to submit an explanation. All personal data, background check data and adverse action letters shall be treated as confidential and maintained in a secure location.
Individuals with adverse decisions may receive a copy of the report and have a right to appeal the decision.
The regional director will be notified that your team cannot compete in the regional competition unless a new team manager is provided and has cleared a background check.
Background checks need to be renewed annually.
Thank you for all your support of Texas DI.
Affiliate Director Texas DI